Low-Fat Diet Cools Hot Flashes
Last month we learned that physical workouts can reduce the frequency of the hot flashes that plague many menopausal women. Now comes a report in the journal Menopause, that’s right, Menopause, suggesting that a low-fat diet can also help menopausal women chill out, so to speak. The New York Times reports that researchers assigned 40 percent of a group of 17,473 menopausal women to a low-fat dietary plan with increased intake of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. The other 60 percent ate their customary diets. What happened? The researchers found that women in the diet group were 14 percent more likely to eliminate hot flashes and night sweats. Oh, yeah, women in the diet group also were three times more likely to lose weight than women who continued with their usual foods.